The Deering Estate at Cutler
Charles Deering’s Florida home south of Miami was known as “The Deering Estate at Cutler.” Now a 444 acre park and museum listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Deering Estate is a place of natural beauty as well as cultural significance. It is administered by the Deering Estate Foundation on behalf of the State of Florida.
The Estate includes historical buildings dating from 1896 to 1922. There are also important archaeological sites that date human presence on the land to 10,000 years ago and animals as far back as 100,000 years.
On site is a Native American Indian midden - the Tequesta Burial Mound – which dates back to 1600. This undisturbed archeological site has been preserved and protected, and is the resting place for more than a dozen chieftains whose remains were laid face down in a radiating pattern, like the spokes of a wheel.
The extensive natural areas of the estate include a hardwood hammock, native species of trees such as Live Oaks, Gumbo Limbos and Pigeon Plums as well as an abundance of wild butterflies. The avocado grove originally planted by Charles Deering is still there today along with a stone bridge across Cutler Creek, and a series of fascinating “solution” holes - wet refuges used by fish during times of drought.
Richmond Cottage, Stone House, and Carriage House – along with Power House, Pump House and extensive grounds -- are open for community educational programs and events.
Richmond Cottage dates to 1896 when it was a pioneer home of the Richmond family in the old settlement of Cutler, and was opened as the first inn between Coconut Grove and Key West. In 1916, Charles Deering remodeled it as his winter home. Practically destroyed by Hurricane Andrew in 1992, it has been fully restored.
The Stone House was constructed in 1922. The Mediterranean Revival style home contains finely crafted details, bronze and copper-clad doors and windows, and 18-inch thick poured concrete walls, making the structure extremely resistant to fires and storms. Today, thanks to generous donations and continued support from the Deering family, many original items are on display in the homes for the public to enjoy.